Injured in an Uber Accident Due to Negligence?
Our Uber Accident Lawyer Protects and Fights for Victims
In the last few years, some convenient alternatives to taxis — most notably Uber and Lyft — have come up on the radar. This alternative gives individuals more options to commute to work, to travel to a group happy hour afterward and get home safely that night. Additionally, instead of waiting for the limited number of cabs available on a busy weekend night, the increasing number of Ubers and Lyfts on the road guarantee that you will not be standing on a street corner for 20 minutes. In this age of convenience, that is a big deal and largely the reason (along with price) that people choose rideshares. Unfortunately, rideshare drivers are driving on the same road as the rest of us and accidents can still happen. If you were injured in an accident involving an Uber or other rideshare driver, then you may be able to hold several parties accountable.
Temecula / Murrieta / Riverside County Uber accident lawyer, Steven Gnau, has been a personal injury attorney in Murrieta for over a decade. Since graduating from law school, he has dedicated his career to helping those who have been wrongfully injured at the hands of another. Steven has successfully represented several fellow Californians, helping them recover, since opening the doors to his personal injury law firm in 2007. He has spent the last decade accumulating firsthand knowledge, important resources and litigation experience in order to best help those who need it most.
Who Is Liable in an Uber Accident?
In order to bring a lawsuit against Uber and/or one of their drivers, you have to prove that they were liable for the accident. This is often easier said than done. There are many potential caveats and important factors to uncover before substantial proof can be brought against the guilty parties.
The following are parties that you can potentially hold responsible in the case of an Uber accident:
- Other negligent drivers. The Uber driver is not always the one at fault when an accident occurs. We are all at the mercy of other drivers, after all. When another negligent motor vehicle driver hits your Uber, injuring you and/or your driver, then it is treated like any other car accident. The negligent driver’s insurance will be responsible for covering the damages. In the event that driver does not have car insurance or is underinsured, it is in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer.
- Uber driver. In addition to the insurance that Uber provides upon their hiring, Uber drivers are required to have their own individual insurance policy in place before driving for a rideshare company. This will provide additional protection in the event that he or she is responsible for an accident and injury to a fare, other driver or pedestrian. You will usually only pursue legal action against the individual driver, whom will be covered under both policies.
- Rideshare company. Really the only way Uber, Lyft or other similar ridesharing companies themselves can be held liable is in the unlikely event that they do not offer appropriate amounts of insurance to their drivers or they fail to provide information requested by attorneys, law enforcement or other legal official. However, these statutes will vary by state.
If you are unsure who you can hold liable for your accident, then it is in your best interest to contact a local Temecula / Murrieta / Riverside County Uber accident lawyer. He or she can help you investigate the details of the incident, obtain relevant information and build a strong case.
Are Uber Accidents Covered by Insurance?
Uber provides complete insurance coverage for all of their drivers. However, this full coverage only extends to drivers on the clock who have accepted a passenger pick-up. If a driver has his or her Uber app turned on, is waiting for a request, and causes an accident, then Uber provides third-party liability coverage. In the event that a driver gets into an accident while he or she is not on the clock, then he or she is not covered by Uber’s insurance and only the individual can be held responsible.
According to Uber’s website, their insurance covers the following instances:
- Waiting drivers. Say an Uber driver has their app turned on and is waiting for a request to come in. While waiting he or she is responsible for a car accident. If this occurs, then Uber covers their drivers with liability insurance with limits that will vary by state. Generally, the limits cover “at least $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident for bodily injury” and “$25,000 per accident for property damage”.
- Drivers in motion. Uber provides full coverage insurance for drivers who are either on their way to pick up a fare or are in the process of driving a fare to his or her destination. This coverage includes “third party liability coverage” (a third party in this instance can include a pedestrian, motorcyclist or other passenger car driver — potentially even property.), “uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage” and “contingent collision and comprehensive coverage” (this type of insurance will cover the Uber driver’s vehicle, but only if that driver has individual insurance on the vehicle).
As you can see, some investigative work will likely need to be performed in order to prove that an Uber driver is liable in the event of an accident. An experienced Uber accident lawyer knows how to obtain relevant information about your driver, the company and the accident itself that will help prove liability and provide a strong argument for rightful compensation.
Question About Your Uber or Lyft Accident? Call Our Office Today
It is increasingly dangerous to be on the road as either a passenger, driver or pedestrian — distracted and other forms of negligent driving are at an all-time high. If you were injured in an accident due to the negligent behavior of an Uber driver, then you have the right to pursue a personal injury claim to cover the cost of damages.
Temecula / Murrieta / Riverside County Uber accident lawyer, Steven, has been successfully representing the wrongfully injured for over a decade. Since opening the doors to his Murrieta personal injury law firm, Steven has done everything in his power to help clients recover from their stressful ordeal. To discuss your case in more detail with Steven, please fill out our online form or give us a call at (951) 370-1111.