It is not shocking news that alcohol is the leading cause of motor vehicle fatalities and severe injuries in the United States. Thousands of people are killed in drunk driving accidents every year, despite strict DUI and DWI laws. The risk of a driver being killed in a drunk driving accident with a BAC of .08 is at least 11 times that of sober drivers. With fatalities at an alarming high, drunk driving accidents also cause severe injuries that physically and mentally incapacitate people.
What Are the Main Injuries Sustained After Drunk Driving Accidents?
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): Your head and brain can sustain serious damage upon impact in a severe car accident. Traumatic brain injuries can cause coma, motor function and cognition issues, and can also lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills. Symptoms of a TBI can be subtle and hard to point out.
- Broken bones: Broken and crushed bone injuries can occur after a car accident. These injuries can require multiple surgeries as well as lead to physical disabilities or even the loss of a limb.
- Back and spine injuries: These injuries can include spine fractures, spinal disc injuries, back strains and sprains and any other serious spinal cord injuries.
- Skin injuries: Car accidents can result in lacerations or burns, which can cause serious skin damage, pain, and/or permanent scarring and disfigurement.
- Psychological injuries: Drunk driving accidents can cause depression anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorders in victims.
Head injuries, spine injuries, and other serious bodily and mental injuries can all result from a drunk driving accident. With more than 20 years of experience as an attorney advocating for victims of drunk driving accidents in California, Steve Gnau is ready to help. Contact him today if you are a victim of a drunk driving accident and would like to seek damages for your serious injuries.